Saturday, February 27, 2010

Grocery shopping.

I think I could be admitted to a mental institute today.  I decided, on a SATURDAY, to take not one, but TWO kids to the grocery store. 

Yes I did. 

Why?  Well apparently I'm missing some sort of thrill in my life that involves navigating a cart in small aisles around half the city, most of who don't know how to be courteous or even seem to notice that they are rude and not the only people on the planet.

Take, for instance, the man I was caught behind in the canned aisle.  As well as the cleaning aisle, fruit aisle and also in the self check out aisle.  Seriously, I didn't follow him!  I purposely took an alternative route.  If he went left, I went right...but somehow I ended up behind him at every turn.  This man was in his own world.  Like outer space.  He had his son with him who could have been 10? 12? who was bored out of his tree.  And blocking the aisle so I couldn't get by -- but that's another issue. 

The Dad figure had a list - which I'm assuming was a grocery list - about 4 inches from his face at all times.  He'd stop to inspect cans, verify the list, check the can again, put it down, pick up another can...you get the idea.  Either he's really slow or his wife if VERY specific on what type of canned tuna he should bring home.  I managed to get away from him only to find him again in the cleaning aisle - doing the same actions with the laundry detergent.  Once I stumbled into the same line at the self checkout that he was in I knew karma was kicking my butt for something I've done recently.  He would pick up a bag, inspect it, enter the code manually, weigh it, check the screen, pick it up, verify again and THEN put it in his basket.  He had a full cart of groceries.

Yeah..........The self checkout was created for those who have few groceries, can work technology and so that people could be processed faster.  This guy was the opposite of all of that.  I wanted to cry.

I've learned my lesson.  Saturdays will never again be spent with both kids grocery shopping.  I don't care if we have to eat KD for each meal all weekend long - it'll be worth it.  You know what the worst part is?!  We don't even NEED anything.  It was all for routine stuff to fill the pantry and make sure I had all my veggies for the week to come -- no biggie.

I'm so glad I picked up those chocolate covered pretzels on my way out.  They helped ease my stress on the way home.

*hugs*

No comments:

Post a Comment