Thursday, February 11, 2010

The art of canning.

I've always been interested in anything that makes life simpler...or more homemade.  I enjoy the idea of making things from scratch and living off of what's around me and my family.  This is how canning my own stuff came to be a new fascination.  ;)

I started in 2004 with the traditional jams -- strawberry and raspberry...which turned into peach & cherry jam and blueberry & pineapple jam.  It was quite fun!  I made sure to make them in the littlest jars possible so that I could rotate the flavors frequently.

Then I pickled carrots -- which is on the list again for this year.  If you haven't tried them you are seriously missing out!  I am a dill pickle lover and I'd reach for these first any day (unless it was for a cheese and dill pickle sandwich.....mmmmmmmmm...).

So this year I discovered the Preserves cookbook by 'Company's Coming' and want to try out as many of the recipes as possible.  Ideally, I'd like to have my own veggie garden that will supply for our family during the summer and produce enough to can for most, if not all, the winter.  Ideally.  So I looked through and have marked a bunch of basics to try.  We'll see how it goes.  I figure starting now, in February, I'll at least figure out what not to waste my hard grown veggies on.  :D

So far I've canned my own tomatoes to be used in sauces and my homemade chili recipe.  It was simple enough and looks yummy!  I'll have to see the final result when I open the cans.  But for now it's a start.

*hugs*

No comments:

Post a Comment