Friday, July 23, 2010

It works!

You may remember that back here, Mr. Penguin and I had decided enough is enough with our finances.  We want more in life and it really shouldn't be that hard to balance a budget.  You may also remember that *I* am the bad one for spending in our relationship.  I know it, he knows it...I couldn't seem to change it.

We may have solved the problem!

In a weird and backwards move, Mr. Penguin and I divided our finances beginning July 1st.  Most couples have separate finances when they start dating and need to join everything together later on - not us.  We've had a joint account since 2 days after dating!  Yeah, we're special.  ;) 

We kept the joint account where the house bills currently pull from, we just opened our own accounts too.  I am now responsible for my car payment, my personal credit cards, my loan, my cell phone bill and anything else I choose for myself that isn't a "house expense".  Mr. Penguin has the same things on his end - plus his school expenses coming this fall and his past student loans.  So now if I spend too much - *I'm* broke, not him.  We also calculated that I make 40% of the income and him 60%.  So we determined that I would put 40% of the money required into the house account and him the other 60%.  This way we're both contributing equally based on our salaries and neither of us is beyond poor.

I'm liking this.

I feel like I'm contributing to the bills now and not just dumping my entire paycheck into our account and him paying for everything else.  I also don't have to account for every penny I spend from *my* money and I can purchase things I want without thinking about the house bills.  It's a new freedom.  It is also helping me with Mr. Penguin's spending money.  With him bringing in a larger salary, he can be free to go back to school - which he is doing - or take a trip home for a week and I will not be wondering which part of the "house" budget is paying for it...as it will come from *his* money. 

I feel this will help with our issue of "well you got to do/have X, when do I get to do/have X?"  When it all came from the same pot it was like it all had to be equal to justify the expense.  It was exhausting.  He makes more = he gets more.  Simple.  It is also motivation to clear my debt and start saving for what I want for me.  And that's exactly the point of this - I need to retrain myself financially. 

We're open as a couple to changing things - no matter how weird they may seem - to get to our goals and live in harmony.  If it doesn't work, change it.  So we did.

*hugs*

1 comment:

  1. We have a variation of that, where we have our own accounts too and we get "allowances" out of each paycheck that goes into those accounts. It's where we buy gifts or splurge on those adorable shoes I can't live without. I'm glad you figured things out... money management is one of the toughest things any couple faces!

    ReplyDelete