Monday, March 28, 2011

Non-fail?

I posted here that I was starting to exercise.  I was.  I was out there and doing my thing and all was good.  Then winter hit and it all went to hell.  I hate winter.  Like, REALLY hate winter.  I'm not 100% why I still live in Canada really...

Anyways.  I did my usual thing - I hibernated.  I went out only when necessary or when I got the urge to take the kiddies out and build a snow fort or go sledding for 20 minutes.  But basically I did nothing.  No, scratch that.  I did nothing exercise wise, but I did start to implement other changes I had been wanting to make in my quest for a better lifestyle.

On August 29, 2010 I downloaded an app for my iPhone.  It tracks weight - and your measurements if you want it to as well - and your goals and shows on a graph how you are progressing.  This was a low point for me.  After that other weight post, combined with working at a job that made junk food the norm, I put on an additional 4 pounds even with the exercising I was doing.  That's right, I weighed 229 by the end of August.  I was getting frustrated with how I looked and felt, I needed to put an end to it.  I can't really describe it - although the few times I've been ill probably "helped" with some months - but I haven't made any major changes.  I don't count my water intake - although I prefer water over anything else, so I'm not worried.  I don't watch what I eat really.  I don't count calories or points - I've just made sure to lower my portions, make my recipes simpler and with fresh ingredients and if I crave something unhealthy like chocolate, I eat some to curb it.  Not a lot, but I do give in to most of my cravings.

It's working.  Slowly - which I think is the best way so that I can adjust and maintain - I'm losing weight.  Which is also nice as my family is currently having a contest...and I'm winning.  LOL  I got on the scale this week and weighed in at 213.4 pounds.  I tried on my wedding dress this weekend, and it zipped up with ease!  I have to keep pulling up the size 18 jeans I wear.  It's a great feeling that the changes I am making are positive and sticking.  I'm eating breakfast every day and having a morning snack of fruit.  I've limited my tea intake and lowered my dinner portions.  And I'm not hungry.  Plus, with the warmer weather just around the corner, I know that it will get easier through the spring/summer/fall.

To help celebrate my continued success (coupled with my lacking ability to ever buy new clothes), Mr. Penguin gave me a great birthday gift this year - a shopping spree for bras.  As I am losing weight, my band size has gone down and I've moved from a DD to a D cup - which means hello Victoria's Secret!  I made my wish list last night.  He gets to surprise me with what he wants off of it - it's only fair as he's footing the bill.  ;)  Along with reaching my goal weight, I think hitting a bra size of 36C would be the best thing ever.  To be able to walk into La Senza or wherever and be able to pick a cute bra off the shelf and have it fit would be amazing.   I miss that freedom.

Also, I am planting a container garden this year - no excuses!!  I've got the plans for making cedar planters and I'm going to grow tomatoes (2 kinds), peppers, strawberries, beans, radishes, lettuce, carrots, zucchini and maybe cucumber.  I also found an old tire behind the shed from the previous owners that I'm going to wash down and paint with the girls.  It will be where we plant our Halloween pumpkin.  I can't wait.  The fresh food will help with my smaller portions, be better for us as a family and the gardening involved coupled with just being outside will help immensely.  Plus, I hope to have an abundance of tomatoes to continue my canning hobby this year.

I'm proud of myself.  Now to get outside more and move my butt!
*hugs*

No comments:

Post a Comment