Saturday, July 31, 2010

Motivation

On my 101/1001 list I have a goal that I have kept to myself for many years.  #10 - run/jog a 5k marathon.  I have always wanted a fit lifestyle.  The type of lifestyle where fitness isn't something you reward, it's just something you get out and do on a daily basis - it is it's own reward.  I did not grow up with that type of lifestyle AT ALL and most days I find it completely against how I was raised and currently live.  So in wanting to change for the better, I find it extremely difficult to find the motivation to get off my lazy ass and get outside.  Running a 5k is probably the biggest challenge I added to my 101/1001 list.  It is not only testing my motivation, it's testing my determination and some of my fears as well. 

I've always needed a 'buddy'.  Someone to come with me to an event or to join a club at school with me.  I have a hard time putting myself out there and just doing something by myself - for me.  With my parents - who do not lean towards the life I want - and not many friends around, I have to do this on my own as Mr. Penguin is needed to be home with the kids if I'm out.  I have no doubt I can run 5k with enough training - it will be only having myself to push me onward when my muscles hurt that will be my biggest obstacle.  So I am fighting back against myself.

  • I have purchased a treadmill at an AMAZING price (under $100!!) that will be delivered in August.  I no longer have the excuse of 'it's raining' or 'too hot' to get outside.  I can walk my ass to the basement and get my training in for the day.
  • I went to Walmart yesterday and treated myself to some nice - but cheap (as I'm still broke and working on my debt) - work out clothes.  I got a tank top that is cut for running and some shorts that aren't stolen from Mr. Penguin's drawer.
  • I purchased the above in a cut that flatters, but also fits me.  This means that the world can now see where I carry my weight, but not in a way that suggests I stuffed myself into shorts too small for my butt.  If I have a problem with that - I can get moving and lose some weight to make them fit better.  ;)
  • I have purchased an app for my iPod to be my trainer - Couch to 5K.  I tested it tonight.  And although I was unable to complete the 'week 1 day 1' session, I know I am going to love this app and it will make all the difference in my progress.  I recommend it for anyone training.
  • I have scheduled in AT LEAST every Sunday for training.  I will be adding 2 evenings a week as well - although these will be more flexible based on Mr. Penguin's school schedule and the kid's activities.
I am also putting myself out there for the world to see.

Current weight: 225lbs
Size: 18-20




I am 28 years old - still young and in no way an excuse not to start an exercise program.
I have 2 kids - so what, why should that stop me?  It may take more planning some days, but the results will always be worth it.
I am over weight - well, the weight won't get rid of itself, now will it?
I have a busy schedule - the exercise will help my stress levels, show my babies the importance of doing something for yourself and help me sleep better.

No more excuses.

*hugs*

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting the motivation to be healthier. I'm in the same boat you are and have started (and stopped) diet/exercise plans more times than I can count.
    I wish you the best and hope this is the time it "sticks."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the hardest part for me...I don't want a "diet" or a "plan", I want a lifestyle. It's just slowly implementing it into my lazy life so that I stick with it! LOL I do feel better after I exercise - I just need to do it enough that I feel good all the time.

    Thanks for the encouragement! It took a lot for me to post the picture and put the stats out there. But if it helps someone else, I figured it would be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I'm proud of you for taking the first steps :) I put run a 5K on my list too. My friend and I walk at the beach a few days a week and she agreed to run the 5K with me either for the city in April, or for the city on the Forth of July. Either way, it looks like I'm running a 5K! I can "train" with you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin - I recommend the 'Couch to 5k' app a million times over! I'll let you know when I'm ready to start it. :D Just trying to get my breathing stabilized while briskly walking and then I'm jumping in.

    ReplyDelete