Saturday, June 26, 2010

Happiness is a habit.

I've got a subscription to Chatelaine magazine.  With the $1 subscriptions from Rogers Wireless, I now have 3 wonderfully cheap magazine delivered at different times of the month!  But that's to gush about in another post. ;)  In my Chatelaine this month is an article on happiness.  Specifically how we make our own happiness.

Now, as a woman who struggles with mild depression on a random cycle (every 3 months to a year or so - not a daily thing) I have to agree.  I find that it is when I lose my focus or don't have a purpose that I tend to back slide into negative territory.  This is not to say that those requiring medication or with serious depression issues can be 'cured'.  But, that for the average person it means that you have the power to control your own happiness.

You have exactly the life you want to live.

Think about that for a second.  I believe in that statement 100% - it's actually going to be the inspiration for my next art project that I will be hanging in my office.

Do you hate your hair?  Change it.
Do you want to be a doctor?  Go to school and make it happen.
Tired of being alone?  Work on your self-esteem and get out and socialize.
Hate your job?  Quit it and get a new one.
Hate being fat?  Put down the cookies.
(Insert issue with your life here)?  CHANGE IT.

People love to bitch - it's human nature I think.  But the more negativity you put out there, the more you get in return.  Negative people attract NEGATIVE people.  Why would happy people want to hang around someone who complains 24/7?

Want to be a happy person and join the "life is awesome" club?  I do.  I work to stay in that club - it's a conscious decision I make every single day.  It's a matter of seeing the silver lining in every situation.  And believe me some days it's harder than others!  Just check back through my blog...I bet you can spot the days I hit negativity town from a mile away.
But I chose to be happy again and I got back up.  <------ that's the key.

It's a conscious choice to be made.  Every time life gives you a lemon, make lemonade - or lemon meringue pie or lemon chicken - whatever floats your boat!  Choose to be happy and you will be happy.  It's even been proven.

Some days when I'm driving to work and the day has started off in a funk, I make the decision to turn the day around.  What do I do?  I smile like a freakin idiot is what I do.  All by myself in the car!  I make the biggest, dumbest, goofiest smile I can make.  Cartoonish, if you will.  And then I picture myself as a person in another car watching this spectacle and I laugh.  That's all it takes.  :D By smiling - even if it wasn't 'real' - I send the proper message to my brain to release those happy hormones.  Plus I may have made some random commuters giggle as well.  So I guess I'm passing along the happiness as well!  LOL

In my home I have a ceramic dish on my kitchen counter.  I made it at a pottery store many years ago and it currently houses the small veggie knives, kitchen scissors and spoons used for tea.  It has 4 sides and on each one I placed a picture of something and a saying. 

















My favorite is the side with the pink polka dotted chicken.  It's my life motto - Happiness is a habit.

It takes 30 days to create a new habit...why not start with happiness?

*hugs*

No comments:

Post a Comment